Articles By Members for Members!

Speed Secrets

Please Read the article attached.

Hi Bruce

I am proud to say that I had a piece published by Speed Secrets Weekly today. It’s all about focus work and focus at the race track. Wanted to share it with you and our club if you think it’s worth sharing.


Dr. Mike O’Neill


Keeping the Mile Alive:

Article in MKE Bus Journal online

June 9 email to R Kirchen

Read the links above.

ScreenHunter_218 Sep. 08 16.20



A letter of thanks: 

Dear GLSCC and BNRT Members, I just want to say thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. When I think of Dad and Ted…racing and all of you, always come to mind. You all were such a huge part of their lives..even after they couldn’t  race anymore. You will always be apart of our family. Thank you for the support not only now, but in the past. Please keep us notified of races at Blackhawks  Farms or Elkhart Lake. I like to think  some of my family and myself might make some of them someday again. Know Ed and Ted will be cheering you on from the racetrack  above. Again, I thank you for everything.  Godspeed and good luck in the next racing season. Be safe.
Love ,
Tracy Bartsch


Comments and letters From the Milwaukee Mile Race August 2017:



Big thanks goes to you for your tireless leadership and one fantastic race weekend!   The one photo op I missed this weekend was you behind the counter in the Media Center with stacks of prize money.  You really had that banker thing working!

Good friends, terrific food (Paul!) fun & safe racing… this weekend had it all… full of great stories made and told.  Our Sponsor’s support makes it all complete and we can’t thank them enough but giving them our business and recommending them throughout the year will certainly be appreciated.

Comments from some first time Attendees I talked with tells me they’ll be back next year.  And some of our sister club members joined in to help, making the load a little lighter, especially on the course where corner coverage was excellent both days.  The 2017 Milwaukee Mile Challenge had all of the ingredients of a show case event and a new racing tradition.



From John Erwin to the Club for the August 2017 Milwaukee Mile Event:

Greetings club members,   I want to thank everyone that helped out and joined forces to make a successful weekend at the Milwaukee Mile.  Those efforts created a story telling weekend for all.
Saturday create an opportunity for sponsors to bring out their clients, friends and relatives that  have not participated in this type of event.  Instructors had many opportunities to sit in the passenger seat and experience newbies on the track.  That is what we’re trying to achieve with Great Lakes sport car club, new faces on the track.  Autocross in the afternoon had a full day with eight runs achieved.  They should be pleased with that track time and encourage more drivers to participate.  The evening Enduro had seven participants with one dropping out with excessive smoke. We want to congratulate Bruce Vollbrecht for breaking the track record in the 1.219 range.
I also want to thank Jeff Willert who was manning corner seven for his competent duties aiding a driver.
With Mr. Paul Rembas creating a spectacular banquet of food for all to enjoy this round off saturday  with stories and full stomach’s. Thank you Paul for all the work you do.
Sunday had mostly cloudy skies in the morning till practice started then light shower for about an hour of track time.  That did not discourage many drivers to be out on the track.  Once the skies cleared there was enough cars on course for the corner workers to be on their guard.  At end of race day and at trophy presentation all or most drivers had words of encouragement that they love this track.  Especially the three drivers that broke a track record.

Please go on Council website to view all stats.


Some words of encouragement came directly from Brenda Magee who authored a book on the Mile.

Greetings Gentlemen,

Just a follow-up note regarding this weekend’s event at the Milwaukee Mile; I wanted to thank all of you involved in both the Great Lakes Sports Car Club and the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs-I appreciate you all working together to offer the opportunity to sell my book, The Milwaukee Mile. It was a great weekend, I had a wonderful time, met some really nice people and heard some great stories.

Thanks again for the opportunity.


Brenda Magee


Also, please view the article in the Wisconsin business Journal.

Thanks to Matt Gerdish for his extra efforts.

Article in MKE Bus Journal online


If any of our members are on any types of racing forums especially Council please encourage this same conversation.

Please enjoy the happy faces of young and seasoned trophy and cash winners at the Milwaukee Mile.

You can see the Images in the Gallery Section of this Web Site.

Thanks again for making this a great weekend.

john Erwin Pres. GLSCC


More Fun Reading and video viewing Below:

Hot Rob Builders

Link to the above Image

Brochure large 4 color low res


Subject: The Automobile Gallery

Good Afternoon John

I received your name and email address from Mike Borlee.  He is one of our Members as well as an big part of The Automobile Gallery.

I am not certain if you have heard of The Automobile Gallery, so I will just let you know it is Green Bay’s Newest Attraction and is located in Downtown Green Bay.  We are a 501 (c) 3 Non Profit Organization that was started by Red Lewis.  Red invited the touchless car wash and owns all of the PDQ car washes in the area.

We have over 50 cars on display at any given time here at the Gallery.  Our oldest is a 1912 Maxwell, and currently our newest car is a 2015 Audi Spider R8.

A good portion of the cars have been donated by Red Lewis from his personal collection, but the rest have been donated from around the United States.  We rotate cars at least once a month, so the Gallery stays fresh and interesting to our guests.

Mike suggested that I contact you and let you know of a Guest Speaker we have coming up on June 24th.  His name is Donald Davidson and is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Historian.  He will be speaking at The Gallery from 1:00pm until 2:30pm on that day.  I have attached a flyer to this email for you to have an perhaps send out to anybody you think may be interested in attending this lecture.

I have also attached a color brochure to this email so if you haven’t seen The Gallery in person, this will give you more of an idea of what it looks like.

Thank you John for taking the time to read this, and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.

Have a wonderful evening!


Kathryn R. Gardner

Executive Director

The Automobile Gallery

400 S. Adams Street

Green Bay, WI 54301



David Wessel and Tazio interview with Talking CarZ. Watch the Link Below!

Click on the Links to download the article or Video.

24 Hours plus 43 years

24 Hours plus 43 years

 When my son-in-law Jim called and said “Hey, let’s go to the 24 hours of Daytona” my mind instantly filled with fond memories of 1973 with old friends, fun times and a cult like atmosphere of old time Sport Car Racing.

Let’s start at the beginning; back in 1973 I was a junior in college and very involved with BNRT (Bad News Racing Team). When I wasn’t in class or studying I was working on a race car of some sort. On the night of the January GLSCC meeting (still on Thursdays) I was kidnapped by Gary Glojek, Jim Sterling and others as they left for the 24 Hours of Daytona following the meeting that night. Now you may think this is an exaggeration but it is in fact true. As a struggling college student I had neither the funds nor the time to experience such an extravagant event. As I sat in my parents living room following my return from the meeting, the front door opened, two of my “friends” came in and physically escorted me to the motor home while a third went to my room and grabbed whatever clothes he felt appropriate and put them into a brown paper bag (now called my luggage). I was finally allowed to leave the back of the motor home somewhere in Tennessee to call my parents so they would understand my disappearance and the great adventure was on!

Upon arriving in Daytona some 22 hours after leaving Milwaukee we kind of stumbled onto the track. We stopped for gas and asked the attendant “where will we find the race track?” following a rather strange look he said “umm, across the street” well this was 1973 and we may have consumed a beer or two on the way down. As we drove up to the track there were many trucks, old motor homes, and various other shall we say “unique” vehicles in line to cross the track in the morning as night practice was in full swing. The only way into the infield was to cross the track. It was at this point that we decided we needed a plan to get into the track before the throngs of spectators who obviously knew the routine that were ahead of us. Early the next morning before the gates opened, Gary and Jim Bacon (sales mgr. for AMC dealership) put on their Penske AMC racing jackets and went to explain to the guard that we had parts for the Penske race cars and we needed to get into the track ASAP or we may lose our jobs. The guard literally stopped the traffic when the gate opened and allowed us to enter before hundreds of other vehicles!! We found a primo spot on the backside of the infield just before the cars reentered the oval and we were set for the weekend.

It was a true party atmosphere, the infield was filled with shall we say dyed-in-the-wool sports car enthusiasts. The unique vehicles that I mentioned before began to take shape with platforms, scaffolds being build on flat bed trucks, sofas from someone’s living room and some of the strangest heaters were assembled not to mention the tons of wood unloaded onto the grounds. These were the really dedicated fans that knew the program. This is the part that I remember with SO much nostalgia; we roamed the infield and everyone was pleasant even welcoming. No matter where we stopped to watch someone would offer us a beverage (of an alternative). One could go anywhere with little or no restrictions as we wandered the paddock and yes even the pits as long as you stayed out of the way. The pits were filled with “amateur” teams in the truest sense of the word with 2×4’s holding 100 watt light bulbs for pit lighting or the now famous photo by Jim Sterling showing a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 crew member opening cans of 50W racing oil with a screw driver! This was my “Last Open Road”.

Imagine now 43 years later as Jim, Liam (my grandson) and I walk up to the new 400 million dollar “stadium” known as Daytona International Speedway. Suites, concessions, individual seating. Bathrooms with running water (OK, that was cool), tunnels to enter and leave the infield at our leisure, half million dollar motor homes lined up like cord wood along the fences with rope to keep the heathens away. Five, ten, twenty Ferrari’s traveling in a pack, Lamborghini’s, Maserati’s and honestly any other type of car you could wish to see. This was no longer a race for the loyalist this was now an event to see and to be seen at and my first reaction was sadness. Gone forever was the greasy mechanics, the smell of hot rear end fluid and the beer bong around the campfire (well maybe there are still a few of those around!)

BUT that sadness quickly began to subside as we walked through the garages to see the likes of the new Ford GT or the famous Corvette long distance cars. The miles of carbon fiber on the prototypes along with the titanium and space age aero dynamics. Well dressed crew members downloading multiple computers and sophisticated suspension systems beyond understanding. To watch my grandson Liam meet the likes of Rubens Barrichello, Giano Fisichella and the Jordan brothers, world class drivers. The sounds of 1000 horsepower engines coming to life and the kaleidoscope of colors and lights to make each car as unique as one could imagine. There are Ferris Wheels and live music till all hours of the night, suites with more food then you could eat in a month much less 24 hours and TV screens as big as a house so that you don’t miss one minute of what is happening on the track. This was serious, serious business with millions and millions of dollars at stake. This was no longer a race of strategy in the sense of pacing oneself to last 24 hours, no, this is now a balls to the walls 24 hour sprint race with the absolute fastest car in each class taking home the trophy!!

We were there to see it all, to feel it all, to experience it all. Yes it was different, not better not worse, different but as I walked around with my grandson Liam I could not help but wonder would this be his nostalgic 24 Hours of Daytona 43 years from today!

Roots Gary Glojek


Pretty standard race weekend.  Load the “rig” on Thursday evening at the shop ( UES)
and get ready to leave for BHF at 3pm on Friday for check in at registration and tech at
5pm.  We’ve done this a hundred times, standard procedure.  I Show up at
UES with the rig and Glenn is already there with the Tahoe which is
Nice to have for local transportation and going to dinner on Friday night.
Open the trailer side door and find that the roller cabinet has tipped over on the trip
To UES and gotten jammed in the corner with the tools spread over the trailer floor.
Set back of an hour and a half, but still under control.  Loading in very hot and humid
weather, but not to bad because only the Continental to load.  Yeve Boode will be
bringing the Porsche from his shop in Illinois to BHF.  He was working on an engine
issue from the last race.  Loading took longer, but all is set to leave at 3pm on Friday.
Friday Glen is ready to go and we “pull the plug” on the rig and start the treck thru
Waukesha to I 43 South.  There is no way to get from the Waukesha
Airport to I 43 Southbound, even without construction detours and there is significant
construction/detours in Waukesha.  After three
Detours thru the city, with a 70 &/- foot rig, adding an additional half hour, we
are Southbound on I 43 doing well.  Until a left side trailer tire blows, big time.  With
no Way to change a left side trailer tire on the expressway, we get off at the next exit,
about 8-10 miles down the road with every car and truck that passes letting me know
that the trailer has a flat tire. Great time for the CB radio to malfunction.  Tire
change was uneventful at the local citco station and we were back on the road again.
Arrive at BHF to register and be advised that we are not on the preregistration
list and that the computer shows that registration is closed.  Luckily the lady in charge
of registration remembers the entry and is able to convince the computer that we are
OK.  Great, pull into the track at 6:00 rather than 4:30, but still OK.  Until we get to our
“Usual” reserved spot which is occupied by a squatter who had cut the “reserved”
Ropes and settled in.  Being a really hot weekend, we want electric hock up, but finally
settled on a spot across from the false grid and are resolved to run the genset for the
Weekend for the AC and refer.  Tech goes well with the help of well seasoned  tech
Inspectors, after waiting for them to open and find the tech stickers.  Actually they
used ones from last year after changing the date.  After setting up the site and
unloading the Continental we shower and head into town for something to eat.
We wander around for a while and decide on a local pizza place that was pretty good.
Still hungry, we stopped at a Arby’s for a bit more to eat/it had been a long, hot,
Tough day.  Then Glenn discovered that he was missing his wallet.  Back to find the
pizza joint and the table we had sat at.  We asked the current
occupant to move over and low and behold, there was Glenn’s wallet, fully entact.
Back to BHF in the rain and a good nights sleep in the night’s rain.
Yeve arrived at 6:30am at BHF with the Porsche.  All is good, again.  The schedule had
the Porsche and Continental practice/qualifying sessions running back to back.  I’ve
been on the track Enough to be comfortable with the track and have driven both cars
there so I only took a few laps with each car to qualify and get some a times on the
books.  The porsche runs marginal and Yeve continues to massage the engine.
Lunch is OK, but still hot and humid, but the AC is working.  The Cool Shirt is not.
Seems that all of the O rings are dried out and cracked.  Not a good day for that to
Grid and start for the 914 went well, not great, but safe and the Porsche is running OK
for a couple of laps.  Then a little red light on the panel comes on indicating that the
alternator isn’t  Charging.  Probably the fan belt came off, which is confirmed by the oil
temp gauge that is rising quickly.  Manageable on a cooler day, but not good in the
Pull into the pits and wait for the last lap to go back out and get a finish.  Difficulty in
Engine restart, but able to take the last lap and a finish.  After the race, the
Car gets impounded to be weighed with me as the driver.  Problem is that the
Continental is on the grid for the next race and I need to be in it.  Short discussion with
Tech Inspectors and I slide into the Continental cockpit and the races starts without
A couple of laps later  at the apex of the Carousel ,  the left front hub separates and
send the Continental off on a tangent toward the tree line with me as no longer as the
driver, but merely a passenger.  On the brakes and try to aim between the fast
approaching trees.  Without a lot of steering response, I brace for the upcoming
contact.  To my surprise, the Continental comes to a somewhat soft, but abrupt stop.
Because of the unseen sand embankment, the Continental sliced the front wing into
the berm with a relatively soft stop.  The rule when your car crashes or dies on the
track is to stay in the car belted up and helmet on until the Saftey team/crash truck
comes to get you.  After three laps of sitting there and it was HOT, I decided to bail out
of the car and get back to the infield.  Apparently no one had noticed that I was MIA,Probably because the car was pretty well buried in the weeds and berm.
Once inside the track the medics and crash trucks converged on me and I was hustled
off to the medical room for eval.  BP way high, crash, heat!  Who would have guessed?
After a few minutes it was OK again and I passed the interrogation proving that I was
“back to normal”.
The Continental  comes back to the paddock on the hook and LMI will take it back to
their shop for evaluation and rebuild.  Not a good day.  My races for Sunday gets
cancelled.  Load up, in the heat and humidity and enjoy some trackside food and
Sunday morning on the way out of the track, our friendly registration lady stopped me
to alert me to smoke coming out from under the Motorhome.  Best to release the
parking brake before starting the drive home.
Her comment to me as I drove out the driveway was, “maybe you should change the
name of your racing team”.  Back to our Roots!
Still, BNRT, Forever!

The following Links will allow you to download these videos!

Provided by: Bruce Vollbrecht 

lap of Mile (1)



Brandon Bockrath 2015 Fiesta ST

Brandon Bockrath 2015 Fiesta ST

pic1 GLC Pic2 GLC


I am a Geographic Information Systems(GIS) Analyst for Nicor gas currently, which is a fancy term for I use computer software to make maps. I went to school for geography and absolutely love it, but I have always loved cars too. Never as much as I have recently, since last April when I started auto crossing and going to council events. I have been amazed by everyone I have meet and the fun I have had at the events, and having people to talk cars with that are as passionate as I am.

Reason Why I Chose the Fiesta ST

I was a year out of college and saving up for my first new car since my Jeep was getting old and starting to have problems. I knew I wanted a fun sporty car but on a budget so after watching some more top gear online reviews I decided needed a hot hatchback. I like many others watched the video review of the smoking tire Fiesta getting the full Cobb Tuning stage three upgrade, and all the stellar reviews from the auto journalists, and that was it, I was buying one. The reasons why I enjoy the FiST so much are primarily the light weight, the fact that the car handles unlike a typical FWD car with being able to kick the back end out, and the torque. The icing on the cake is that for a daily driver it is practical, easy to dart through traffic, doesn’t need to be revved out to put a smile on your face, the gearing is so short and fun on the street, and the fuel economy is great too. For the track the low weight and small size means cheaper running costs and consumables plus the benefit of embarrassing much more powerful cars. The modifications are also much easier (cheaper) to afford. My car build can be followed online at here

.pic4 glc pic 5 glc

Current Modifications

TBPerformance Rear Torsion Bar

Boomba Racing Trans Bracket Bushing

Boomba Racing Shifter Adapter

Boomba Racing Shifter Base Bushing

RokBlokz Mudflaps

Pierce motorsport 6-point brace – Pierce trunk brace

Boomba Racing wing risers

MAPerformance Cat Back

Mishimoto Intercooler

pic6 glc

Wilwood six piston front brakes

pic7 glc

Future Modifications

Coil over suspension

R comp tires

E30 fuel mix pro Tune

Upgraded Turbo internals


“Under Construction”

Check Back often for updates and great new information!